Thursday, March 12, 2009

Rain

Standing by the roadside and the rain is swelling into inky puddles at my feet. Waiting for a break in the traffic. For a chance to move.  The rain is warm  and at last maybe winter has given up on us. I can only hope. The carcass of January lies all about me. The black drifts of slush and aggregated pebbles are dissolving now, filling the streams to a roar.  And the rain falls endlessly turning the world black with wetness. The headlights stream by, but I barely notice them . This is my world. I am out in it. They rush by but don't feel the warm drops on their upturned faces. Such a waste. 

That's alright this is my place. And my time. My rain.

Maybe they drive past and see the man soaked through to the bone, carrying his groceries for one, back to the small apartment he lives in, and for just one moment the sting of pity, followed by the swelling of ego. Poor him, they think.  He walks in the rain. 

Poor them, I think.

They don't.

18 comments:

Lacey said...

<3

Brown-Eyed Girl said...

And I LOVE the rain.

I love the sound it makes on the rooftop.

I love the smell of it. I love the way it makes my breath catch when it hits my skin.

I love the way it washes everything clean.

Anna Russell said...

So, it's 4 45am over here, as usual I can't sleep and I think, I know, I'll see if my friends in America (ie, the past) are perky enough to have written a new blog post.

I'm very glad I did. I loved this Kurt. I think you're going to have to change that "barely literate" bit on your profile.

Steam Me Up, Kid said...

Poor them is right. Nobody walks in the rain properly anymore.

Vic said...

Looks like none of us sleep anymore.
That was beautiful. The opposite of noise.

TawanaB said...

Well I was just up following Vic around! (no just kidding really). It's 4:10 here and I just got woke up by a little girl crying for chocolate milk :) one of the best reasons I can think of for being up at 4 a.m. (my granddaughter) I read some of your comments on Vic's blog and thought I would check out yours. I'm so glad that I did. I agree with all the above for lack of anything better to say. This was bittersweet for me because I have been remiss and haven't walked in the rain for a while. Must have thought I was too old! (what was I thinking, right?). I enjoyed this immensely can't wait to go back and read some of your earlier blogs. Great.

Kurt said...

@Lacey: Thank you.

@BE Girl: Rain always makes me feel clean. Especially in Spring.

@Anna Russell: Thanks, but I'll be back to the nonsense in a little bit and I hate to build expectations

@SMU, Kid: It's an important life skill. Everyone should.

@Vic: Maybe the nicest thing I've read in a while, Thank you.

@TawanaB: Uh... Thanks for reading. I appreciate it... about the rest of the blog... well you'll see soon enough...

Char said...

I want to take a bath in how much I love this

Kurt said...

@Char: Thanks. Don't forget to get behind your ears.

Maggie May said...

I walk properly in the rain. I adore it.

Nikki said...

It is raining here as well. Not warm rain though and it will soon turn to snow. How I envy your walk in the rain.

Kurt said...

@Maggie May: Then you're doing it right.

@Nikki: It turned to snow this morning. Stupid winter.

Maelstrom said...

Rick James Bitch!

Frank said...

As I read, I kept waiting for the punch line. It was like when Robin Williams did The Dead Poet Society, and I kept waiting for him to be funny, and then it was over, and I liked it. Nice.

Kurt said...

@Frank: Thanks. I take the occasional break from the idiocy. It keeps me limber.

Brandy Rose said...

This made me feel all tingly...but not in a dirty perverted way...

Kurt said...

@Brandy: Glad you liked it. Sorry it wasn't in a perverted way. :)

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

That was lovely Kurt.

Another one I somehow missed!